Storrs Gate House Accessibility Statement
Storrs Gate House is a 19C detached guest house offering seven en-suite guest bedrooms over three floors. Two ground floor en-suites are wheelchair accessible by separate ramped access. The following statement is a summary of our provision. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to call us and we will endeavour to help you.
We have a website which shows a photograph of every guest bedroom and includes descriptive text and room dimensions.
- We are located approximately half a mile from Bowness Bay, on the A592. Bowness village is a 10 – 15 minute easy stroll or 2 minutes by car or taxi. Torches are advisable after dark – we can provide these.
- The main bus service is within 10 minutes walk.
- Windermere train station is approximately 2 miles away. There is a taxi rank outside the station.
- You can contact us by telephone or email. (See contact information.)
- Bowness TIC may arrange the loan of a motorised scooter or wheelchair by prior arrangement and subject to availability – telephone 015394 42895.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- There is enough parking space for eight cars. There are marked parking bays. The car park is a level, gravelled area and is well-lit.
- There is separate paved ramped disabled access to the ground floor bedroom area. This pathway is approximately 6 metres long and 1 metre wide and is accessible to wheelchairs (please ring the front doorbell on arrival to enable us to assist with parking).
- We can assist guests with luggage to and from their rooms.
Main Entrance & Reception
- The main front door has one step approximately 12cm high. This leads to an internal porch which has one further step approximately 12cm high. If the front door is locked there is a low level bell push to the right of the door and a door knocker on the door itself.
- The separate ramped disabled access has a handrail to the left of the front door. On entering the house from that area, all floors are level.
Public Areas – General (Internal)
- Our ground floor hallways are wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair.
- Hallways are well lit. Flooring throughout consists of short pile fitted carpet.
- The lounge, dining room and the two en-suite bedrooms are on the ground floor.
- There are 14 stairs to the first floor landing. One further stair leads to two first floor en-suite bedrooms.
- There are 3 stairs leading to a half-landing and two en-suite bedrooms
- There are 14 stairs from the first floor to the second floor where there is one en-suite bedroom.
- There are no lifts or escalators.
- The stairs to the first floor are 18cm high, 25cm deep, 90cm wide.
- The stairs to the second floor are 18cm high, 25cm deep, 76cm wide.
Public Areas – WC
- Bedrooms are all en-suite. There is no public WC.
Restaurant / Dining Room, Bar &amp;amp;amp;amp; Lounges, Take Away &amp;amp;amp;amp; Cafe
- Breakfast is served in the dining room on the ground floor. There are no steps.
- Furniture is flexible and can be moved on request subject to space.
- Tables are of varying sizes. Some tables are pedestal and some have legs on each corner. All chairs are with arms. A chair without arms can be supplied on request. A chair can be removed to accommodate a wheelchair.
- Menus are displayed on all tables.
- Residents lounge contains two settees, two armchairs, coffee table, occasional table, bookcase, desk and chair. There is no television in this area.
Conference &amp;amp;amp;amp; Meeting Rooms, Banqueting, Clubs, Entertainment
Ground floor – there are 2 bedrooms on the ground floor. Both are in close proximity to a fire exit.
- Room 6 is particularly suitable for wheelchair use. The beds can be set up as either a super-king double or twin. There are no steps or stairs to this area. Door widths to bedroom and bathroom are 91cm. Beds are 56 cm high. At least 1 metre routes within the bedroom, eg to side of beds. Beds can be moved if required therefore allowing for left or right transfer to beds in any combination. There is a floor standing television/DVD player with remote control and satellite tv channels. Two tub chairs are provided 58cm high. There is an en-suite walk-in shower. (See below). Fitted short pile carpet on floor.
- Room 7 (extra large room) – King-size four poster bed. There are no steps or stairs to this area. Door widths to bedroom and bathroom are 91cm. Free space of 80cm to one side of bed and 1 metre to the other. 3 metres free space from the foot of the bed to the wall. 2 comfortable wing-back armchairs in seating area with floor standing wide-screen TV with remote control, satellite tv channels and DVD player. There is an en-suite shower. (See below). Fitted short pile carpet on floor.
- Room 1 – King-size four poster bed. Door widths to bedroom and bathroom are 76cm. Free space of 90cm to each side of the bed. 170cm free space from the foot of the bed to the wall.
- 2 comfortable tub chairs in seating area with floor standing TV/DVD with remote control and satellite tv channels. There is an en-suite shower. (See below). Fitted short pile carpet on floor.
- Room 2 – King-size four poster bed. Door widths – main 81cm, bathroom 70cm. Free space of 100cm to one side of bed and 120cm to the other. 90cm free space from the foot of the bed to the wall. 2 armchairs . There is an en-suite shower. (See below) Fitted short pile carpet on floor. The bedroom leads into a lounge area 4.5m by 4.5m. There are two comfortable armchairs, coffee table, wardrobe, dressing table with stool, floor standing mirror and TV/DVD player with remote control and satellite tv channels.
- Room 3 – King-size four poster bed. Door widths – main 86cm and bathroom 76cm.
- Free space of 150cm to one side of bed and 120cm to the other. 80cm free space from the foot of the bed. 2 comfortable grandfather chairs and a coffee table. TV/DVD player with remote control and satellite tv channels. This room leads down two steps approx 12 cm, with handrail, into a dressing room with gentleman’s wardrobe, dressing table and stool. There is an en-suite shower. (See below). Fitted short pile carpet on floor.
- Room 4 – King-size double bed. Door widths – main 86cm and bathroom 70cm. Free space of 90cm to both sides of the bed. At the foot of the bed there are 2 tub chairs and TV/DVD player with remote control and satellite tv channels. There are three steps (approx 12 cm) with bannister rail. leading up to an en-suite shower room. (See below). Fitted short pile carpet on floor.
- Room 5 – King-size double bed. Door widths – main 80cm and bathroom 70cm. Free space of 80cm to one side of bed and 90cm to the other. 80cm free space from the foot of the bed.
- 2 chairs (no arms). TV with remote control and satellite tv channels. There is an en-suite shower. (See below). Fitted short pile carpet on floor.
Bathroom, Shower-room &amp;amp;amp;amp; WC [Ensuite or Shared]
- All bathrooms are en-suite and have showers. None have baths. All have pedestal washbasin, wc and shower cubicle.
- Room 1 – there is a step to the shower 17cm high, 28cm deep. Power shower. Grab rail.
- Room 2 – step-in shower 18cm high. Power shower. Grab rail.
- Room 3 – walk-in, wrap-around shower. Power shower. Grab rail.
- Room 4 – step-in-shower 18cm high. Power shower. Grab rail.
- Room 5 – step to the shower 18cm high, 25cm deep. Power shower. Grab rail.
- Room 6 – wheelchair accessible. Door width 91cm. Washbasin – WC free space 1 metre. WC – shower free space 70cm. Door to wall free space 140cm. Shower cubicle with folding door 120 x 90cm. 5cm lip at shower entrance. Two angled grab rails within shower area. Portable shower chair available. Toilet surround frame available. Power shower.
- Room 7 – extra large en-suite. Approx 20cm step to shower cubicle 120x90cm with sliding door. Grab rail.
Caravans, Holiday Homes &amp;amp;amp;amp; Twin Units
Touring Facilities (Holiday Parks)
Boats – Narrow Boat, Cruiser &amp;amp;amp;amp; Hotel Boat
Attractions (Displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
Grounds and Gardens
- Stepped entrance to paved terrace and gravel paths to rear gardens. Stone steps to some areas which may become hazardous in wet/damp weather. Gardens may also be accessed via the dining room.
- Fire alarms are fitted throughout. There are three fire extinguishers – in the front porch, on the first landing and on the second landing. Smoke and sound alarms are fitted throughout. Heat detectors to some areas. Emergency lighting fitted. Evacuation is by means of the main front door, the front door at the head of the ramp and the back door. All exits are clearly signed. If you require more assistance for evacuating, please notify us on arrival.
- Proprietors are resident on premises.
- Welcome All training course completed.
- Portable shower chair, toilet surround frame and raised toilet seat provided.
- We are licensed to sell alcohol. We do not have a bar.
Address: Vince and Shirley Byrne, Storrs Gate House, Longtail Hill, Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria, LA23 3JD
Telephone: 015394 43272
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve if you have any comments please phone 015394 43272 or email email@example.com.
Updated on: 02/06/2009
Sign up to receive the latest special offers by email from Storrs Gate House! Simply enter your email address in the box below.
Shame there isn't a 6 star rating as it deserves this.
Mr & Mrs Timmins – Southampton